OK, you Montague/Pflueger guys...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

OK, you Montague/Pflueger guys...

Post by Jim Madden »

I always try to buy at least one reel at the lure nationals that needs some investigation. This one has "Steiny's Best" stamped in a small circle on the tailplate. The inside of the cover plate and one side of the inside plate have the number 41 scratched. The sharp bend in the handle is new to me, and the detail on the rim isn't like other Montey's I've seen, although my guess is Montague. I'd like to hear some ideas. I hope the pics come through. Thanks, Jim M.

(moderator note: Just needed to highlight them individual photo links and click on the "IMG" button - prest-o-change-o!)
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Reel

Post by Teal »

Hi Jim,

Awesome reel. I do not believe it is a Montague. 99.99% of all Montague Kentucky-Style reels have 2 or 4 screw front plates. We (Jim Garrett, Skip Brooks and myself) have only heard of two three-screw 2-button front plate KY style Montagues, and neither resemble this reel. Would like to see closeups of the foot if possible. I believe it is a E.A. Pflueger.

And it looks like I have another trade name to track down, fortunately I think I am about 95% sure who used that trade name.

Dr. Todd
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Montague? Pflueger? or ?

Post by RAM »

Not sure its E.A.'s reel. The crank is a bit crude and doesn't match the one on my E.A. Pflueger Worth. The end cap doesn't match it either. Has two rows of reeding. Don't want to take mine apart to check the click spring, but it lacks a bit in refinement as well. However, the three screws are ok for E.A. as well as is the crank post. I think it was made by some company other than E.A. or Montague. But, hey! I'm an Enterprise guy. What do I know about E.A. Pflueger stuff, or for that matter Montague either? Great find whoever made it! Bad Bob
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Steiny foot...

Post by Jim Madden »

Todd, here's the foot. If we twist Bob's arm enough maybe he'll look under the plate of that Worth of his. I'm going to throw a "Pickering" name at you from another Montey, (see pic), and you know about the three variations of the Wordens Casting Reel (2 pictured), right? Jim M.

Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

It is interesting that the knurling on the headplate rim changed between the first photos and the photo of the foot. Maybe my geezery brain doesn't follow what you guys are discussing?
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Hi

Post by Teal »

Phil,

No your geezery brain is sharp. Not only has the knurling changed, the reel now has a back side click button, and a rounded one too (instead of a flat skirt button).

Jim, methinks you put up the wrong picture. The 80 yard model you put up is clearly a screwfoot Montaguel, probably the Pickering from the looks of things. Will add the Pickering to things I need to look for...

If you ever want to trade the raised gearbox Worden, I collect that style of Montague.

Dr. Todd
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

What a goof!

Post by Jim Madden »

Ooops, that's certainly embarassing! Phil, thanks for pointing it out. By the way, Todd, who do you think made the Steiny? I don't have a duplicate Worden, but I will keep an eye out for you. The only other Worden variation I know about belongs to Marie Munson. She has the bigger brother of the model without the raised rear case. Thanks for your insight. Jim
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Raised Gearbox Montagues

Post by Jack Bright »

I lucked out and have 3--One has Van Uxem on face plate an is marked
1 1/2 on foot, another with same 1 1/2 on foot marked simply CASTING
on face plate, third one is marked The Kosmic on face plate and on foot 80
all are GS with CBH and have jewels and smooth running as most higher
priced reels-- none for sale
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Jim - I don't know who made the Stiny, but it was not Montague. If you can tell me who made the Regal (ebay 190010434610) I'll tell you who made the Stiny! I would guess E.A. Pflueger also. Note the handles.
Both of the Worden's are Montague.
Don Champion
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Ebay reel

Post by Jim Madden »

Don, you're right about the Ebay reel - spittin' image. I figured we'd be hearing from you soon enough. What makes you think E. A.?
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Jim, I was just going by a gut feeling I have about it, and the cliick spring looks like one that was on a Pflueger Buckeye I once owned. Someone had modified it to look just like that one. It would kick out when the line was reeled in. The end cap is too long for most reels I am familar with. The name appears to have been ENGRAVED with a jewlers pantograph. The letters are too uneven to have been factory stamped. Oh yes, lureguys (whoever that is) are the new owners of the Ebay reel.
Don
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: OK, you Montague/Pflueger guys...

Post by Mike N »

ORCA member Mike Hines is looking for information on a reel marked “Pickering” on Joe’s forum. That name is mentioned above.

Here is a link if anyone has any information on that reel.

http://www.joesoldlures.com/wwwboard//m ... 94659.html

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

I was not able to open any pics on this thread. Why?
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Pictures originally on this thread were done with an old version of the phpbb software that was not migrated to the new systems, unfortunately. This was done prior to my taking over the board and I am not sure why.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Mike N wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:19 am ORCA member Mike Hines is looking for information on a reel marked “Pickering” on Joe’s forum. That name is mentioned above.

Here is a link if anyone has any information on that reel.

http://www.joesoldlures.com/wwwboard//m ... 94659.html

Mike N.
I'm wondering why he didn't ask about it here? :?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Why? No one here has offered anything new and insightful, either.

It’s often smart to reach out to a much larger user base on Joe’s. I wish we had those page views.

Mike an
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990