Not to change the subject, but...

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Good morning sports fans:

For the past week and more, I have greatly enjoyed this thread, and the good natured (usually) ribbing and give and take amoung the participants. And I've sat here quietly on the sidelines...observing.

What I...and indeed all of us observed last night was nothing less than a testament to the spirit of the "Little Guy" going up against one of the great football powers in this great country. Surely mighty Oklahoma would take care of "Who are these guys" from Boise State. And how can the WAC (Western Athletic Conference) possibly be even faintly considered worthy of playing with the "Big Guys)?

Last season Fresno State, also a WAC school, came within a whisker of upsetting then number one rated USC. And just last week the University of Hawaii went up against a supposedly bigger and more powerful Arizona State team...and absolutely STOMPED them. It is so easy to assume that the more famous, and usually more wealthy and powerful teams deserve their lofty status, and that the smaller and lesser known teams (schools) be...quiet and sit in the corner?

Boise State coach Chris Peterson and his team showed the nation an outstanding example of what can be accomplished when folks rise to the challenge. And they did it with CLASS! Congradulations to coach Peterson, the players, the school, and to the people of "Little" Idaho. And Phil, you can take that chip off of your shoulder now. You have every reason to be proud. Your Broncos put on a show that would warm the heart of any true sports fan, including yours truly.

And for those folks who saw the Rose Bowl earlier yesterday, what a joy it was watching USC coach Pete Carroll on the sidelines. This man has been an NFL head coach, an assistant coach with my beloved San Francisco 49ers, and at age 55 shows enthusiasm and an obvious love for the game that surely is an inspiration for all to see. It looked as though mighty Michigan...an excellent school with an excellent team, would stomp Southern Cal. Once again, never underestimate the underdog!

Jim
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Jim: As always, a very nicely stated post. It sure was an exciting game.
Boise has an impressive list of victories over the likes of traditional powerhouses such as Sacramento State, Utah State and Idaho.
I guess we can add Oklahoma to that list now.

cool-thumb yay-banana yay-banana yay-banana cool-thumb