Heisman Reminiscences

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Heisman Reminiscences

Post by Reel Geezer »

As all you football fans know, today the Heisman trophy is awarded. Fifty-seven years ago, I was invited to attend that awards banquet. I remember being disappointed that the great SMU running back and my hero at the time, Doak Walker, had won the year before and was graduated. Here is the banquet program. Somewhere around here I have a photo taken with the winner and several other items from the dinner. Bad Bob would have a contest about this, but who can google the fastest and tell me who was the winner of the Heisman in 1949?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

oooh, oooh, Leon Hart! pays to get up early!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Wow John! I was about to go read the morning paper and decided to see if and of the easterners were reading the board. You're correct, and you are up early since you're one time zone west of us.

Leon Hart played for Notre Dame at what would be called a tight end today. I believe he went on to play for Detroit Lions after graduating, but I'm not going to Google this.

I just happend to glance through the program and note that Doak Walker had not graduated. He did win the Heisman in 1948, but came in 3rd in the balloting in 1949. 2nd was Charlie "Choo-Choo" Justice of North Carolina.
Leon sure looks small, but I note he has no shoulder pads on.
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Leon Hart

Post by Jack Bright »

May have looked small but I think he went about 250lbs. when he played
for Detroit as a tight end and occasionaly as a fullback when they needed a
hard eaned run or two, also an all-pro couple a years. Great player. And
on the subject of football and the 'Old Lions' (when they were good) a lure
maker from Texas, Doug English (offensive tackle also all-pro), made a lure that`s called I think 'Bingo',have seen it on Joe`s site.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Wouldn't need to Google it to know he wasn't from Boise State. Bad Bob

PS- Vandy never had a Heisman winner either Phil (But they have had several Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winners! Bet you can find who they were by Googling)