Pflueger AUTOPLA

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Pflueger AUTOPLA

Post by Brian F. »

Great explanation, Steve. Never actually sat down to play with one. I think I just wrote it off as "don't bother" :lol:
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
grayrock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by grayrock »

Would there be an Owner's Manual of any sort available for this reel?
grayrock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by grayrock »

Well- I joined, bought my article reprint, read it and am no closer to discovering how to let line play out on this Pflueger AUTOPLA reel. From the article published by Bob Miller it states: "After sufficient line was cast or played out from the boat in the free-spool mode, the gears were then engaged by moving the lever up. Then the safety spring was engaged by pushing in the clutch button on the end plate." I assume that to PUSH IN the clutch button it had to first be PULLED OUT. That is what I remember as a kid using this reel, that one had to pull this button out. However, it now does not pull out. Am I doing it wrong? Is something stuck? Is there a trick? To see what is going on I think I have to disassemble the spring side. That gives me the heebie jeebies. Anyone have any suggestions? Is Bob around?
grayrock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by grayrock »

Thanks for the picture m3040c. The text in that picture states: "Pushing the button in on the back plate engages a spring..." By that statement it would follow that pulling that same button out would disengage the spring, thereby allowing the spool to freely let out line.
grayrock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by grayrock »

This is it.
grayrock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by grayrock »

Another question. There are 2 hash marks on the frame (indicated by the yellow) that are opposite a hash mark on the black plate (red) secured by a set screw. What is this for?
grayrock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by grayrock »

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I should keep my keyboard shut since i haven’t played around with the autopla, but it looks to have a quick release faceplate that is removed by aligning the lower marks after unscrewing the locking screw, then pulling out to release the face plate and access the spool. You put the face plate back by again aligning the lower marks, push in and turn clockwise until the mark on the faceplate aligns with that second mark on the rim. You should then be able to tighten the set screw. It looks from the pic that your faceplate is not seated all the way in.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
grayrock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by grayrock »

Many thanks, John Elder. You were exactly right. Does anyone know if an owner's manual was ever written for this reel? That sure would be helpful.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

There was a folded instruction paper that was provided with all Pflueger reels but I've never owned one for an Autopla so can't say what it contains exactly.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."