Some Nice Upper Peninsula Pike

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Some Nice Upper Peninsula Pike

Post by Robin Sayler »

Today was the third time this week I hit Portage Lake pike fishing and today was by far the best day yet. It was incredibly snowy and windy but the fishing was decent, we caught 9 fish all together and kept four. We kept: 24 in, 26 in, 27 in, and a 31 in. Sorry the only picture i have from on the ice is of a little one but apparently digital camera's can't handle 10 degree weather, it froze up and didn't work until we got home and unthawed it. Anyways fish for supper tommorow.

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

nice fish
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Thanks, They tasted great!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Now that's hard core fishing :shock: You guys don't build those little huts to fish in?
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

We do sometimes but right now theres too much snow to drag one out on the ice. Its not too bad as long as you keep your back into the wind. That day while we were out there we got 8 inches of snow!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Interesting side note. I don't have any pictures cause it was too cold to bring the camera out but on tuesday morning me and my buddy pulled up a 50 inch sturgeon on a tip up. Talk about a battle took nearly a half hour. Bet that thing weighed in around 35 lbs.

Also i caught a 30in pike that morning which chewed my hand up good. As i was taking the hook out it flopped and got my thumb, index and middle fingers right in its mouth and ripped them all up. Bled for about 2 hours. I have 44 tooth punctures in my fingers and hand now. but it doesn't look like its going to get infected.

Saturday I'm in the michigan tech ice fishing tourney so hopefully the good fishing will hold up! :D
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Keep typing to keep your chewed up fingers loose. Let us know how you come out in the tournament.
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Good morning Young Guy:

Some fine looking fish you've caught up there. They lend new meaning to the term "Fresh Frozen".
Now regarding that non level wind Akron, as someone who has just two days ago had my right kidney (successfully) operated on, may I kindly and respectfully offer a suggestion as an alternative to giving your kidney in exchange for that (fine) reel? Keep BOTH of your kidneys...never know when they'll come in handy...and just remove the level wind from your Akron!

And best wishes in your Engineering studies. Take care young friend.

Jim
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Well unfortunaly I didn't win the tournement but it was a blast. we came in a respectable 5th the biggest fish of the day was only 8 pounds which is relatively small since I've caught 3 this last week over that and last years winner was 22lbs. The biggest I managed was only a 4 pounder. Weather was absolutely horrible. It was -7 degrees and very windy but it was still fun.

As for my kidney's Jim, I don't think they are in any danger, as finding a nlw akron is harder than pretty much anything I've ever tried to do thus far. I do know where one is but getting the current owner to sell it would be harder than going back in time and buying my own! but i suppose by the time I do find one (and i will) I'll find a way to pay for it that is a little less messy. I'm glad your operation went successfully and I'm giving the engineering a decent amount of my attention even though the fish are biting. I'll graduate next year and already have a couple options for work, and then the serious collecting can begin! :wink:
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

May not have won that tournament a couple weekends ago but if the fishing was as good then as it was last night I would have. The little one in the picture is 30in the other one tops out at 34 and just over 11lbs. probably the fatest one i've seen this season so far, not the longest though. my buddy caught a 38 incher last week. thats the bottom picture. The ones from last night will be saturday's dinner the 38 got thrown back. I would have thrown back the 34 but he was hooked too good so he became dinner.

this is the one my buddy caught last week

Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Well done young friend:

Looks like you have dinner for FIVE! Enjoy your feed.

Jim