Cycloid Micromatic Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Cycloid Micromatic Reel

Post by Reel Geezer »

Did anyone else notice this sale on eBay:
broken ... &rd=1&rd=1

The seller relates that this reel is still being manufactured, which I hadn't heard, with the owner of the company located in Rockford, IL. It seems to me that one of our ORCA members in the area should learn more about the owner of the company, along with historical facts and get them recorded now. I would think he would be more than happy to receive the publicity, and perhaps we could all learn something about this unique reel, its origins and the man who is currently producing the reel. This seems an opportunity to record a reel company history while someone involved is still alive.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

contact BOB HALVER! a ORCA member

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :type: jump usa Phil, Bob Halver of Grand Rapids Mn. ( ) sent and told me of some person that bought up most of the parts for these reels, said he was a older gent and that I should contact him about parts and a diagram for the Cycloid reels, I understood Bob to say this person was assembling a few reels for sale! bob is listed in our ORCA membership anual and is beter known as the AIREX MAN! It would be nice to do a artical on the Cycloid reels as there are several variations of them! Bob would be your best contact! your ohio conection on and near Lake ERIE, Col. Milton lorens aka SWIM JIG
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Phil & Milton, A few years ago I talked with this gentleman and indeed he does exist. He bought all the parts for this reel when the company went out of business. He told me fishermen were paying up to $40.00 for the reels at that time to fish with them. I used to have one but sold it to someone in the northeast who wanted it to fish with. The anti-backlash in these reels is very tricky to adjust, but they are well built reels. Sorry, but I have lost his contact information.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

It would be nice if someone would do an article on the Micromatic. Here's a start. Gee, maybe someone will take a flaing at it. Both patents were assigned to the George W. Borg Corp., Chicago.

Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

The Cycloid reel and Charlie Booker

Post by Airexguy »

I met Charlie Booker a couple of years ago while visiting a friend in Rockford, ILL. Charlie's shop is in what I would call the industrial area of Rockford. Going into his shop is like stepping back in time to some extent. Charlie is a great individual and knows EVERYTHING about the Cycloid reel. He told me that he did buy up the remaining stock when the company closed and that he knew the owner very well. He asked if I would like a demonstration of his Cycloid reel and I did for sure. Well he took me outside with his rod and reel and proceeded to cast a 5/8 oz. practice plug well over 3/4 of a city block, without a backlash. His thumb was not on the spool until the practice plug hit the sidewalk! He showed me the adjustments he made which took just a second, and proceeded to make the same cast several more times. As you know I collect Airex, Bache Brown and Feurer Bros. only, but after that demonstration I purchased two other boxed Cycloids. At that time I could buy a new Charlie Booker Cycloid for $175.00. He had some stock left at that time, but was running low on line spools. He did have a machine shop making those that matched exactly to the originals. I asked him if he knew how many reels he could still build, but I forgot that number. It didn't seem like it was a huge number though. Charlie's address is; Cycloid Corp. 1800 Broadway Rockford, ILL. 61104 and his shop number is 1-815-398-1074. Charlie has a great collection of old bait casting reels in his shop and an old picture hangs on the wall showing a very large Muskie caught with a Cycloid reel.He told me that he hand files each set of gears and assembles and tests each reel and if it doesn't meet his approval he takes it apart and goes through it until it does meet his expectations. I will never forget how far he could cast and with very little effort. Hope this information helps those who were inquiring about him. Bob Halver---->The Airex Guy
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

More Cycloid information

Post by Airexguy »

Take a look at Phil's attachment and note the side view of the reel and box. There is a slot cut into the base. This was there to hold a small red cutout of a fish in red color with the retail price printed on it. The price on mine says $40.00. My paperwork is not dated, but the address is Belvidere, ILL. The reel bag for my reel is gray with black print and the tie string knots have plated metal caps over each knot. My reel is green and has the optional? finger grips on the handle. As you can see in the pictures Charlie has changed the color of his reels and the handle and knobs have a gold type plating on them where the originals are nickle or chrome plated. I think this is a gem in the rough as far as collecting goes because their selling price has been very good. Granted you can find a beater for 10.00-25.00, but the clean ones are demanding a high price. I have an earlier model that is in a smaller box with a Chicago address and the paper work is dated 1947. The suggested retail price then was $26.50. I saw one other of this vintage in the box at the Vegas show this year and it had an elaborate set of card stock insterts inside that kept the reel from moving around. It was so well packed that when you took the cover off of the box you didn't see the reel, you had to remove the first of 2 or 3 more inserts just to get the reel out of the box. I own three Cylcoids at this time and thats my limit because I'm sticking to my Bache Brown, Airex and Feurer Bros. Take care, Bob H.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I'm glad everyone seems interested, but so far all of you except Steve seem to have missed the point of my post. Someone should go to see Charlie and get the historical information about this reel, take some photos of Charlie and his reels and see what information is available about the original company. Then it should be written down and printed as an article in the Reel News. Someone has to live closer to this man than I do in Nampa, Idaho.

As I am well aware, we get older and then suddenly we're gone. Take a look at the confusion about Harvey's website. Here is a living person who has first hand knowledge of the manufacture of fishing reels. Gathering and sharing this information is what ORCA is all about.

If no one else is going to do this, I will make arrangements to stop and see Charlie Booker on our way back to the ORCA Convention. I would like to know if someone else is working on this project. The information should be gathered now.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

To spare Mrs. Geezer from the nightmare of having to sit through yet another of Geezer's in-depth interviews with erstwhile tacklemakers, I dredged up a couple additional tidbits on the Micromatic maker's early history:

Flaing, in Delavan, Wisc., assigned both patents to the George W. Borg Corp, Chicago, which was incorporated in Delaware. Couldn't find anything on the Chicago Borg, but it also was the assignee of other patents from Delavan, including at least one for a method of making a clock spring. Borg probably had a research lab or some branch in Delavan. In 1958, Borg, said to be "based in Wisconsin," was making "electronic instruments, automobile clocks, and textiles." It merged with Amphenol Electronics Corp. to form Amphenol-Borg Electronics Corp. It went through various other mergers and acquisitions in the 1960s and 1980s, until it was finally acquired in 1997 by KKR.

So let the questioning begin. What did Borg have to do with the reel manufacturing? Isn't anyone within reach of Rockford able and willing to go see Charlie Booker?
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Cycloid Micromatic Reel

Post by Paul Roberts »

Charles Booker Obituary

Charles Fred Booker 1933—2020
Charles Booker, 86, passed away peacefully at home on April 6, 2020. Born Sept 4, 1933 in Bull's Gap, TN to David, Sr and Lura Bell (Davis) Booker. Charlie was the owner of Cycloid Corp where he manufactured each fishing reel by hand, with precision and craftsmanship rarely seen. His shop was not just a place that fishermen gathered to tell their tales, but a place where life long friendships were made. His presence and wisdom will be missed but never forgotten. Charles is survived by his wife of 67 years, Patricia, his daughters Sherie (Calvin) Thomas and Mary (Kevin) Holmes, sisters Shirley Mihm and Frances Giordano, Grandchildren Jennifer (Nick) Thomas, Angela (Joshua) Del Rio, Joy (Phillip) Holmes-Feltz, Andrew (Alexandra) Holmes, and Elizabeth (Brian) Rhodes, great grandchildren Julie (Brendyn), Angel, Calleigh, Ava, Norah, Nayeli and Baby Holmes as well as several nieces and nephews and special friend Larry McCarty. He is predeceased by his daughter Wendy, parents, brothers David and John and sisters Barbara and Carolyn. The family would like to thank Heartland Hospice and Joyce Hocking for their loving care in Charlie's final months. Per Charlie's wishes, no service will be held. Memorials can be made to the family.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Just a reminder there is an article about the Cycloid in the September 2020 Reel News starting on page 23. Fun story and reel.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Yup. I’ve been reading up on the Cycloid. Appreciate your article very much. I then picked one up to see what they are like. You had once said to me you saw a Cycloid in my future! Curious whether I can get this one into fishing shape. Should be fun. Thanks again for helping keep such marvels accessible.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

an article about the Cycloid in the September 2020 Reel News
Colby, glad you brought that up. It says that the three 60-series reels "lack the magnetic controlled brake found on other Cycloid models." I always meant to ask you if you knew of any examples with the magnetic brake. I've had several Micromatics, and all have had that complex centrifugal brake. The one patent included the magnetic brake, but I wonder if it ever made it into production.

Paul, you'll enjoy adjusting this:
Last edited by Steve on Mon May 27, 2024 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Hi Steve. Yeah, that image was almost enough to scare me off! Almost. :) I’m hoping the parts on my new project are intact and not too worn. I assume those two cylinders are the “shoes” for the centrifugal brake? Could I fashion a replacement if needed?, I wondered. Waiting for the pkg to arrive.

Also, someone else had mentioned magnetics with the Cycloid. But I haven’t seen such a mechanism. Was there a magnetic Cycloid. I may have to go reread again. Easy to get inundated with information nowadays. (I’m layed up following surgery and reading a LOT.)
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Mon May 27, 2024 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

those two cylinders
Yes, they're the shoes. There seems to be a lot of adjustment available by moving the mechanism up and down the threaded post. Unless the shoes are very badly worn, they probably won't need replacement.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Unfortunately, I have a small sample size when it comes to tearing into Cycloids. All so far have included the centrifugal brake.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby