Martin Automatics

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Martin Automatics

Post by Paul M »

Here are my Martin Automatics. My favourites are the models made in Ilion, NY before they were marked Mohawk, NY.

Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

Very nice. I especially like the early models and the wide model in the upper left.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Thanks for looking

Post by Paul M »

The red one in the upper left is a size 05. It seems that the size number refers to the spool opening width. However, I have a number 4 that has the same opening as a number 1, so go figure. The No's 1,2,3 and 5 seem to be a correct progression from smaller to larger.

Some of the box paper from this group is entertaining. In one box, there is a "quiz" on automatic fly reels (and somebody filled in the blanks!). A couple of these reels have an optional line protector, which is a piece of metal with a rounded edge that assembles between two of the posts. The wind up function on most of these reels "work" but I dare not take any apart to clean them because of the springs.

Most of my better ones came from one collector whose tastes changed. Several of the early Mohawk, NY reels were acquired via e-Bay.

PM