Help with background info. on the Milward Bartleet rod Co.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Help with background info. on the Milward Bartleet rod Co.

Post by Airexguy »

Guys, I need help with some background on the Milward Bartleet fishing rod Co. A friend contacted me asking if I could help him find some history on the company. He has what looks to be a very old Milward Bartleet bamboo rod, (I haven't seen it). It has a brass butt cap and it has Milward Bartleet embossed inside an oval that is on the brass butt cap.

I have found a couple rod on E-bay and they are being sold from England, but the sellers don't have any history information on the company. Can anyone help me help a friend out? Thanks, Bob Halver----->The Airex Guy
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Milward bought Bartleet right after WWI.

I don't think they used the name after about 1935, but I would like to see photos.
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Milward Bartleet rods

Post by Airexguy »

Ron, I will try and get a couple of pictures. Bob
snoekjaeger
Advanced Board Poster

Post by snoekjaeger »

Milward was founded in Redditch (UK) in 1851.
I don't have a lot of documentation on them but the going-together with Bartleet seems indeed have taken place in the 1930's. But well before that both companies were already working together.
I have a French book on old rods and under the Milward chapter only 1 Bartleet is mentioned, a 12ft 3pc rod made of wood and greenheart.
Jean-Paul
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Milward Bartleet rod info.

Post by Airexguy »

Jean-Paul, thanks for your input and help. This will indeed make my friend very happy. I was thinking of emailing you with this question, but held off as I know you are more into reels and were going in a different direction as of late, (I saw your posting regarding the selling of some reels). Thanks again, every little bit helps, Bob Halver----Grand Rapids, Mn.
snoekjaeger
Advanced Board Poster

Post by snoekjaeger »

Hi Bob, I am still doing research on reels but am always looking for a new challanges. The Czech reels (spinning- and fly-) have a long history and little has been documented on them.

Have been checking some books I have to see what I could find on Milwards but it's all about reels (there are also Milward reels called Bartleet as a type).

It seems Bartleet was taken over by Milward in 1932, I found a reference of Bartleet William being in business from 1890 till 1932.
Between 1890 and 1900 they were located at 53, Gresham Street in London.

Jean-Paul
from Belgium
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Milward Bartleet rod info.

Post by Airexguy »

I want to thank all of those who helped me with the Milward rod information. I'm slowly putting it together to make sense for the friend I have who contacted me. Again, thanks, Bob H.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

It would surprise me that Milward only used the Bartleet name for 2 years, because by 1935 there is no more reference to the Bartleet name in Milward's catalogs.
I still believe the transaction occurred earlier, but do not have 20s Milward's cats to support it. I will check again with ATO references and get back on this.
snoekjaeger
Advanced Board Poster

Post by snoekjaeger »

As I said somewhere here above both companies were already working together before the actual merge. I am not 100% sure but I think Milward sold rods and reels with a typename "Bartleet".
Afther the merge the company would be Milward-Bartleet.

So one has to be carefull to make the difference between a Bartleet rod/reel sold by Milward (pre-1932), versus a rod/reel sold by Milward-Bartleet (post-1932). But, again, I am not 100% sure about all of this, only based on some books, none of them are very detailed about this subject.

Jean-Paul
sgbright1965
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Help with background info. on the Milward Bartleet rod Co.

Post by sgbright1965 »

i am a direct descendant of the Bartlett’s that owned William Bartleet and sons. my understanding which is pretty reliable is when Robert Smith Bartleet died in c1902 the Bartleet business and brands were sold to Milwards who appeared to continue with the brand for some years. William Bartleet was one of the worlds largest sellers of needles. i must say i guess there is a chance that the bartleet fishing business was separate
but i don’t think so and the fact that Milwards was definitely the buyer of the main business suggests not
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Did Milward continue to sell needles? I ask this because if they did continue that line of work, researching this angle may bring one around to some pertinent answers. Perhaps a "needle catalog" that mentions fishing equipment as a side note of some kind could provide a date.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

i must say i guess there is a chance that the bartleet fishing business was separate
Some background from The Victoria History of the Counties of England/Worcester, J.W. Willis-Bund & W. Page, eds., London: A. Constable & Co., Ltd., Vol. Two, 1906, pg. 274:

"As closely connected with needle-making, and in some sense a natural development of that industry, we may mention here the manufacture of fish-hooks, which are probably produced in greater bulk in the Redditch district than anywhere else in England. William Bartleet and Sons, of the Abbey Needle Mills, will be familiar to most anglers as the makers of the Cholmondeley-Pennell eyed hooks in their improved forms. Harrison, Bartleet and Co., Richard Hemming and Son, and Henry Milward and Sons, may also be named amongst other firms equally well known, whom lack of space compels us to omit. Through the constant improvements effected in their manufacture the fish-hooks and fishing tackle of Redditch have become famous all over Great Britain, and are also in constant request by colonial sportsmen."

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Millward continues to make needles based in Studley near Redditch. The Millward -Bartleet name was still being used in 1926.
Millward purchased many companies including Slater and The Dreadnought Casting Reel Company.
sgbright1965
Big ORCA Fan

Post by sgbright1965 »

William Bartleet and sons was amalgamated with Milwards in 1903/1904 but the brands continued to be used for some years.
Leafman
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Leafman »

Hello, I'm a newby member...

The reason I joined ORCA is that I inherited some fishing rods and a number of reels and I want to find out more about them, and maybe hand them on to someone who would really appreciate them. My father, who died in 1991 and his father, were keen fishermen. Sadly I didn't inherit the interest, although I restore antiques and know a well-made object when I see one. I've only recently unpacked the rods and some are fine. Enough background!

One rod has a brass ferrule with the name Milward Bartlee (NB without a t that I can see). I came across this excellent thread and wanted to ask to find out more about the rod and maybe donate it/sell it to a good home...

OOps tried to upload photos but. failed...
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Here are Leafman's photos:

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

I don’t think that is a bamboo rod as originally posted. Probably lancewood, greenheart, or bethabara. The color, grain, and shape suggest lancewood or greenheart.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Folks,

This is the last of the Henry Milward & Sons US Trademarks, all 18 of which were issued between 1902 and 1928. Notice the renewal in 1948.

Alan

Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

The registration says Archibald Cox is the lawyer. His son was special prosecutor for the Watergate investigation!
Retropeche
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Retropeche »

Eric J wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:20 pm I don’t think that is a bamboo rod as originally posted. Probably lancewood, greenheart, or bethabara. The color, grain, and shape suggest lancewood or greenheart.
I agree. Greenheart butt and middle with a lancewood or similar top section is my guess.
Regards, Clive

"I tread the paths where no one goes
and cast to fish nobody knows
"