Lee Wulff Ultimate Reel....simple, elegant, simply elegant !

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Chum Angler
Frequent Board Poster

Lee Wulff Ultimate Reel....simple, elegant, simply elegant !

Post by Chum Angler »

I don't know if it's reasonable to call a fishing reel "Sexy", but if it can be, I think this reel qualifies.

I recently picked-up this circa 1969 Lee Wulff Ultimate Fly reel that was retailed by Norm Thompson. I know it was designed by Stan Bogdan and manufactured in limited numbers by Farlow's in the UK, with a total production of 100 to 200 depending on the source. The reel sold for $120 in 1969.

In 1970 the reel was $95 and in Norm Thompson catalog referenced as the Thompson "Ultimate Reel" with no reference to Lee? There must have been some falling out between Thompson & Wulff?

I am a big fan of early Bogdan reels and I find the design of this reel to have historical significance as the precursor for the check mechanism used by Stan for his (and later Steve's) trout and steelhead models, as well as it being a larger sibling to the original Orvis CFO prototype that was also designed by Stan Bogdan.

I'd enjoy hearing from anyone that has information about how many reels were made and if in 1970 versions still had the badge "Lee Wulff Ultimate".

In any case, I hope you enjoy the photo...

Mark B

DoctorFly
Frequent Board Poster

Farlow's manufacture?

Post by DoctorFly »

I've recently discovered that, in 1969, most Farlow's reels were manufactured by J. S. Sharpe in Aberdeen, whom they had acquired in the mid 1960's. Previous reels had been supplied by J. W. Young.

Farlow's own reel manufacturing operation in Croydon had closed much earlier.

Whether the "Ultimate" was actually made in Aberdeen remains to be proven, but is worth investigation.

Regards,

Doc
Chum Angler
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chum Angler »

Doc -

Good to see you on ORCA's site to...tis me, turtledoc from teh Classic Fly Rod Forum 8)

Before I'd found this reel there was a thread on the forum about the LWU and at that time I'd wondered the same thing...did Farlow's actually make the reel? My guess was that they did not, but I'd never heard anything to confirm or deny so I'd not pushed the idea...I appreciate your info on Sharpe's and will definately be investigating ! Since it was designed by an outside party (Bogdan), it is hard to tell from the design who would have actually produced it.

If this reel were made by Sharpe's that would make it pretty unusual...it woudl have been designed by Bogdan...for Lee Wulff, manufactured by Sharpe's for Farlow, under contract by Norm Thompson who was the retailor...whew...

Mark B
aka turtledoc
DoctorFly
Frequent Board Poster

Post by DoctorFly »

Hi Mark,

Don MacKenzie at Sharpe's told me last week that they had made some reels for Bogdan, but he didn't specify which. I emailed him this morning for clarification, and will let you know.

Regards,

Doc
Chum Angler
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chum Angler »

Doc -

Many Thanks !

Since I know Stan designed this reel at the request of Lee Wulff, my guess is this has got to be the one that Mr. MacKenzie had referred to, so it is likely Sharpe's...how interesting !

I would greatly appreciate learning more about this reel and am very interested in anything more that you find out. If he happened to know whether or not all 200 that were originally planned were actually produced that would be interesting to. I've seen articles that mention 100, 180, & 200 as the production figures.

Best Regards,

Mark B
DoctorFly
Frequent Board Poster

Post by DoctorFly »

Got a reply from Don :-

"John, and later Jack Sharpe were a personal friend of the Lee Wulff family, who visited Aberdeen often - and made rods for him. It is not generally known that, during the Mao Tse Tsung years in China, The U.S. had a trade embargo, and a number of US Fly rod builders used Sharpe's as a bamboo rod supplier - these included Berkeley, Orvis, and Lee Wulff. The fly reels may well have been for Wulff ultimately - but the factory referred to them as Bogdan reels - I may still have the drawings.

Sharpe's have a long history of reel making, and manufactuered for others - including Orvis at one time."

I'll post more if it comes. 8)

Regards,

Doc
Chum Angler
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chum Angler »

Thanks Doc !

Boy would those drawings be cool to see !

I'll send you a message through Yuku on the Classic Fly Rod Forum with my regular email

Best Regards,

Mark
ozrkflyfisher
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Lee Wulff Ultimate Reel....simple, elegant, simply elegant !

Post by ozrkflyfisher »

Would anybody have one of these reels on hand ?

Not very many photos of this reel floating about.

Brian in Branson, MO
Just once, I wish a trout would wink at me! -