PENN SENATOR 16/0

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
David.Forbes
Big ORCA Fan

Re: PENN SENATOR 16/0

Post by David.Forbes »

Saw this thread while looking into the Penn Senator 16/0 reel. And then saw the post about Big Lou, and found this on Google. Enjoy...

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news ... 593298.php
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I doubt if anyone will ever come close to that record. Finding a person with the skills to make a long cast like that combined with being able to do at those heights very well might be impossible. I wonder what reel he had on the rod?
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

That article is not accurate in regards to being the only person or the longest. Tournament casters in the US and Internationally keep records. The current USA record distance cast is 1636 feet by Henry Mittel in 2011. You can find other casting distance and accuracy records on the ACA Website at http://www.americancastingassoc.org/---- ... -comb.html.

I have photos and casting equipment used by ORCA member BL Farley when he participated in unlimited casting and surf spin casting for distance. I believe he also beat this distance, but would have to look that up.

At the ORCA National (I believe in Texas) an ACA caster demonstrated long distance casting to the club. I was not there and have not seen photos, but if someone has a story there to post, it would be interesting.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Matt, The caster was none other than Big Lou at that Texas National. He was out distancing the golfers on the same range. Lou will tell you he can not cast as far as he once did but he is still involved in distance casting. He used either a Abu 6500, 7500 or 10,000 but most often I believe it was the 6500. These reels were modified with the little tuning device to fine tune them while they were running. He will also tell you there were some young gun casters down in Australia that outdistanced everyone at one time but again those folks have aged a little since those years. There are actually some photos of Big Lou and his tackle right here on ORCA's website. They should be under National Convention from that year but I haven't looked for them in a while. That was still one of the best ORCA Nationals ever. Keepin' It Fun! Colby
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

That is good info Colby. I did not realize that it was Big Lou at the Texas ORCA National. I was kind of reacting to the reporter that claimed it was a distance record, but it could have been close in 1991 I guess. In any case, we should dig up some photos of the equipment used for everyone to see. The rods and reels used for distance casting are specialized, and certainly a Penn 16/0 is not part of the equation any more. There were conventional reels used in early surf distance casting, but the long spool spinning and the unlimited modified spools took over the records.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Lou pops in here once in a while so he might be able to add some info. I'll see if he's interested. When I heard the ORCA Nationals was going to be held near Houston where Lou lives, I thought it was a no brainer to have them do a demo. The 2005 National was supposed to also have the late Jerry Valentine, also a world-class caster and champion, as part of the demo but he had to cancel at the last minute. We had a grand time and it was nice to reminisce about Lou's visits to the Islands.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I just re-read this post. Funny looking back at how little I knew 13 years ago. I now know that 16/0 is the largest reel to leave the Penn factory. Big Lou is now a Legend. I believe the feat of casting over the Houston Astrodome will never be matched.

In today's world a Penn Senator 20/0 exists but it is a combination of the original Penn Senator 16/0 and new Tiburon after market parts. Tiburon offered only 20 numbered Frames and Spools to create the Penn Senator 20/0 and has now has finally made the matching side plates out of aluminum, again, only 20 pieces. I am waiting for the side plates to arrive, so I can complete the transformation of my Penn Senator 20/0, as for now, here is the 20/0 in its present form.

The reel sharing space with the Tiburon Senator 20/0 is a 1939 Squidder 140

The size difference is sort of dramatic.

Soon this reel will have custom Black anodized side plates. Its Penn identity will be reduced to mostly internal parts.

Lucky 13 is my number.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Massive. If you could choose a rod for it, what would it be?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Massive. If you could choose a rod for it, what would it be?
I have an old custom 130 pound class Big Game rod made in Montauk Point. Shakespeare Blank, Mildrum Guides, Lakewood seat and an Aftco butt. It is nice. I will keep both the rod and the reel, unfortunately I do not have space to display them assembled, so the reel will be a shelfie and the rod sits in it place in the rack. If I could choose a rod for it, I would probably opt for the Fenwick, Model 670. That is the Jaws rod.

The rod I described is on the far left.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

That looks right. Many times a reel can overwhelm a rod..in their appearance together. That rod looks like it can put up with what your reel can do. Something tells me you're thinking about a cradle....
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Something tells me you're thinking about a cradle....
I have a couple of smaller cradle rigs that I still fish with from time to time. I have liked them for years and when you take care of them properly, they are bullet proof.

You see my active cradle rigs in my rack. The rod tips for the two cradle handles are in the rack. They are both Jigmaster 500 combos.
Kbfisher
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Kbfisher »

Not sure if this is the right place for this, if not, my apologies and can you send me in the right direction?

I was looking for a large reel to go with the waaaay oversized bent butt rod I thought was a 50-80# class that ended up being a 200# class. Found a 16/0 the guy said was never used so I made the 4 hour drive to Richmond to pick it up.

From what I can tell, he wasn’t lying, looks like it’s never had line on it or even been clamped to a rod. Now I’m not so sure I want to use it, hate to be the one to put the first boat rash, nick or blemish on the reel.

Just curious if anyone can tell the age of the reel it’s potential value and any opinions on whether it should be maintained as “never used” or if I fish the snot out of it (doubt it was made to just sit in a shelf)

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hi there and welcome! This is an ancient Old thread, hut always nostalgic to see old posts, so no prob.

Frankly, there is such a glut of perfectly good tackle that has been fished that i would recommend putting it on your shelf or that of some worthy Pennhead and maintain that wonderful condition.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Just curious if anyone can tell the age of the reel it’s potential value and any opinions on whether it should be maintained as “never used” or if I fish the snot out of it (doubt it was made to just sit in a shelf)
You are correct, the Penn Senator 16/0 was not made to sit on a shelf. With a model life span of 75 years, it was certainly a very capable product. So, if you want to fish it, go ahead. I will say, the Senator 16/0 is a bit obsolete in today's big game world. it really does make a nostalgic display piece. If it were mine, I feel I would display it on an age-appropriate rod. Most people enjoy seeing the reel that was made famous in the movie "Jaws". Not too many reels achieve that world class distinction of being immortalized in a classic movie.

The reel in your photos is a mid 1980's model. It can be dated by the handle style. here it is in the Penn International Catalog of 1986:

In mint condition, I would ballpark estimate at a value of $1000.
Kbfisher
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Kbfisher »

Thanks for the feedback John & Mike…

For now this will be a display, I do have some of the glut of tackle that goes beyond the capacity of this reel. I also like the idea of finding a period correct rod for it, maybe I get lucky and land a fenwick woodstream 670 in as good shape as the reel to pair it with!

-Kevin
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

In the late 1980s and 1990s, and long after the 12/0 Penn International lever-drag reel had all but displaced the big star-drag Penn Senators for Giant Bluefin in the U. S. Northeast, there were still some very successful trollers landing big fish with 16/0 Senators.

I suppose that it was because in trolling, to be competitive, there was not the same need to go with the reel that would best handle the shyest leader practicable, as for dropping baits from an anchored or drifting boat. Given the moving bait or lure, and turbulence of a boat underway when trolling, the fish could still be fooled when using the heavier leaders.

About the same time, I met a man who charter-fished for big Marlin out of Australia. He said that the captains down there had not adopted the more advanced lever-drag reels yet, as the old Penn Senators had the adequate guts, and the Senator machinery was easy to self-maintain. Presumably, they were trolling, too.

I suppose that today there are no such active big game holdouts using the old Penn Senators, be they Yankee, or Aussie.