ORCA Patron Program: Donate to a Good Cause

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

ORCA Patron Program: Donate to a Good Cause

Post by Teal »

Roger Schulz contacted me about the new ORCA Patron Program. This new program allows collectors to donate at various levels to ORCA, one of the great organizations of its kind in the world. ORCA does a lot of good and it will make you feel wonderful to donate to such a worthwhile organization. You can download an informational brochure here:

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?ORCA_PATRON.pdf

Any questions can be addressed to Roger via his email: sroger748 AT aol DOT com.

-- Dr. Todd
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) 8) :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :type: Why always donate? what does that do? make the dollars work!, I found a way and do it all the time! SIGN UP NEW MEMBERS!? how? use a membeship for gifts,We all must know a few people that have tackle in their homes, or a tackle shop that would enjoy the Membership and may just run a paying ad in the mag! I use the gift membership all the time, also use a gift membership to place in retirement homes, (Got me some nice finds) If each of us gives out just 3 memberships ? well you do the numbers! I cant count higher than 10 anyway, next have a show like Mike Wohlever of Amherst Oh does every year! Have a sale of used tackle etc in your own area! Money isnt the only issue in this mater its people We are losing members every year! and at the rate we are going ? ORCA will be gone in 10 years! NFLCC didnt get that large by doing NOTHING! Whats wrong for us to do Something? We all need to reach out to PEOPLE! I am having a problem with what to do with my vast Liabray on reels? I am leaning on giving it to ORCA! however where will it be used if we fail to have readers, members etc! The last time Don Champion was in the (rat hole) he was surprised now I have tripled the amount of what I had back then! Keep going the way were are? and most likly we will be gone in 10 years or LESS! Col. Milton lorens aka swim jig of AMHERST OHIO
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

What Col. Milton is saying is very true. We had an article in the July issue of the REEL NEWs which talked about the Patron Program for ORCA. It is another way that we as members of ORCA can help our organization that has done a lot for each of us. We have all gained a lot of knowledge, history and insight from reading the REEL NEWs and getting to know other collectors. That knowledge has help increase the value of our reel collections. The Patron Program is a way for members that can do a little more financially to give back to ORCA. Since ORCA is a 501c3 non-profit organization, your contributions are tax deductible.

Give me a call if you have any questions.

Roger Schulz
Secretary/Treasurer
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

the Patron program is a good way to offset some of the costs...create an endowment, if you will. However, it might be more fun to create some environmental enrichment for the members at the same time by holding some sort of silent auction (or not so silent auction) for donated reels. I think that most all of us have a decent reel that doesn't quite fit their collection that they could put up as a monthly...or quarterly auction...the latter could be carried out in the Reel News and that way would include all the membership that does not waste their days on the internet. We could even have two...one thru the Reel News and one here on-line, which would then allow contribution by non-members. It would just be a matter of establishing some rules and time-frame for the auction...owner would ship to the winner at their expense, with payment going to ORCA. I'm assuming that ORCA could also provide a non-profit tax # for tax purposes, if the donator wanted to get a tax break from the donation. I think this could be fun and work into something that people would look forward to. What say you?
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

That is a cool idea! Even common reels could be auctioned. Pretty soon $10 and $20 reels add up to a few hundred bucks for ORCA.

Great idea. I hope it comes to fruition!

Dave "O"
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

John:

I think you may have hit on something that is a great idea. I will talk to Jim about it and see what we might be able to develop.

Roger
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I brought up the idea of both a charity auction and a charity book with the Board at the last ORCA Nationals. I haven't heard back on either idea.

-- Dr. Todd
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Oh, Darn!...and here I thought I was being sooo brilliant :oops: ...sorry about that, Todd...maybe all this will inspire them to carry thru with your plan! I did talk with Jim this AM and he was pretty excited about pursuing the idea. If it gets caught up in too many committees, we'll just do like on Joes and fire off "auctions for the board" .
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Actually it's more like the third time this has been brought up, but perhaps it's too much work/legal issues to deal with from the standpoint of ORCA.

I know there were a lot of people at Florida who agreed that they had a lot of reels and other items that they would not mind donating if the proceeds went to ORCA.

-- Dr. Todd
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I had no idea that ORCA had a money problem, I thought the rest of the country was in trouble but we were solvent. The deficit you speak is not too large and this organization is too valuable for it to disappear in 10 years or any other amount of time. We need more ideas. Donations and auctions are good steps to start with but the Ideas must keep flowing from the membership.

How about some kind of raffle for prizes, either donated reels or ORCA Items (shirts, jackets even yearly memberships) to be given to the winners. A monthly raffle could be done on line in some creative way among the membership or to the others who visit the site.

In my mind, the word Profit is not dirty. We need to make a profit in order to stay a Non-Profit Organization. :roll:
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Great idea. I know I have a reel or two I will auction off if it comes to fruition.

Jerry
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

ORCA Members:

With the end of the tax year fast approaching, you may want to think about a cash donation to ORCA. ORCA is a non-profit organization and your donations are tax deductable. If you are interested, let me know and I will provide you the information and documentation. You will be helping our organization and your fellow members.

Roger Schulz
Sec./Treasurer
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

ORCA Members:

Just an annual reminder. With the end of the tax year fast approaching, you may want to think about a cash donation to ORCA. ORCA is a non-profit organization and your donations are tax deductable. If you are interested, let me know and I will provide you the information and documentation. You will be helping our organization and your fellow members.

Roger Schulz
Sec./Treasurer