Fished a centrepin

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Fished a centrepin

Post by Ron Mc »

Spent last week at a lake house and used my Speedia 4" centrepin for the first time - as a baitcaster with 15lb. spiderbraid (300 yds is the right amount on the spool). Was baitcasting off the dock with my daughters. The rod I used was a very fast Lamiglass 7-1/2' 6-wt, throwing 3/8-oz. Casting was interesting. Pre-loading the rod was a no-no. In fact, you release the spool just as you start a forward cast to gradually load the reel. It was throwing 50' with little effort. Adding effort didn't gain distance, it just backlashed the reel. It liked a slow load and lob. Caught a 5-lb. blue catfish, and it was a hoot palming the reel against the strong runs. Like I said, the rod is fast - generally too fast to throw a trout leader, it fishes best with a Teeny T200 sinker and a 4' leader. If it makes it sound any better, I did catch a 4-lb. freshwater drum flycasting the T200 - have heard of them that size, but never seen one - that was a hoot, too.