Arrrrrrh! Bronson “Pirate” in box?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

NOTE added: reel is now GONE TO A GOOD HOME! Sold at the "for sale" section on this site. Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)

Went to an Ant Mall yesterday, a two hour drive roundtrip.. Wife came along to hunt for antique Christmas stuff so I had company. Found a few minor reels, then came across this, in a case with vases, bottles, etc. This was the only tackle item in the case. Price was in line with other SW reels. Anyhow, I couldn’t remember ever seeing a “Pirate” before, so I hesitated, then we left. Got home, did some looking on the internet and could find NO pics or sales history! Checked a Bronson website and even he didn’t have a pic of one! Thought “Dang, I should have picked it up!”. Drove back! Another 2 hour drive, this time without company!

So here it is! Reel sure does look like a match for the description. I see no reason why it shouldn’t be. No markings- no maker, model, or even yardage. Box is nice, reel is EX!

Need help
— is that reel a Match for the box?
—- and of course, I’m asking for anyone’s thoughts about a fair value. Offers? I have a hunch it’s a pretty scarce reel and box, maybe even the “R” word?

Email or post here. I’d appreciate it! Best—— Joe Walkowski (ORCA)

Last edited by JoeW on Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Arrrrrrh! Bronson “Pirate” in box?

Post by klonder »

Does the reel fit in the box? It looks a bit too big to me. Also, since Bronson chose to name the reel, I would expect it would marked accordingly.
Show the foot please, it looks OC-ish
Thanks
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Arrrrrrh! Bronson “Pirate” in box? More pics...

Post by JoeW »

Thanks for the reply! Here ya go! Reel fits into box nicely. A bit snug, but it was for the largest sized Pirate. The ends of the reel foot have a "tab" on them so that the screw from the pillars can go through them and hold them securely. I saw that mentioned somewhere.
And, I also saw on a website that the reels are "sometimes found with the model number and yardage marked on the reel foot." I take that to mean they're usually found without any markings?
Hope this helps! Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Joe, did you look here? Scroll down to Pirate.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi Tom--- Yep, the ORCA site here is the first place I always look! More info than the entire Internet! I read the description for the Pirate and it sure seemed to fit the reel! Anything I'm missing? Thanks for taking the time. Best---- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Arrrgh! I'm with Joe on this one. It does look like the Pirate on the ORCA site!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Thanks, Richard, and thanks all for the thoughts!

OK, did I have a revelation? Couldn't figure out why the catalog pics of the Pirate seemed to be a narrower reel than the one I have. Passed it off as printer's modification or optical illusion, or something. Then a flash of lightning! (nothing to go with this post, it's just raining outside). In the Pirate model 750 BW, does the "W" stand for "Wide"? That would account for the extra yardage! Catalog shows regular width reels, Mine in the box is the wider! Am I wrong, or am I just the last person to see the obvious?

Thanks again for all the input. Best---- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Nice Find Joe, you have the 1939 or 1940 model Pirate reel. The catalog listing for those two years show the model you have posted, in 1941 the catalog listing shows two additional pillars added to the reel, beefed it up I guess or was trying to standardize some parts. I have a 1941 version I picked up on e-bay last April for $87.00, which I thought was a great buy for the combo. Box has some wear and the sales sticker was placed in a bad spot on the graphics but the reel is excellent, just needs a little cleaning.
Here is the 1940 catalog listing for your reel :

Here is a 1941 catalog listing and some pics of my reel, note the additional pillar on front and rear of reel:

I really think I got a bargain on my reel hope you did also. I may be a little bias, as a Bronson collector so I will not attempt to place a value on your reel.

ENJOY
Bummy
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Thank you, kind sir! I know you put a lot of time into that reply above! With your reply and all the others, I'm convinced- 1939-40 Bronson Pirate 750BW in correct box. As I've always said- there's some mighty fine people at the ORCA site!

I would like to pass it off to an enthusiastic Bronson collector who'll give it a good home. Bummy, I tried emailing and PMing you, but keep getting error. If you can figure out a way to contact me, please do so. My email should be in the ORCA directory. We might have some things to talk about. Same to any one who may be interested.

Really? $87 for a Pirate in the box! I've paid more than that for a #700 CCBC Pikie only to bring it home and find out I already had one!

Ya'll have a good day! Best---- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Just wanted to say thanks to Joe, a true collector that finds some rare stuff. I can't say I would drive 2 hours back to a flea market, at least until I googled the artifact. BTW, if you google "Bronson Pirate 750BW" the orca webpage referenced above comes up first in the search results. A good reminder to all of us that google is our friend in flea markets.

I watched the PEZ documentary on the PEZ pirate yesterday, and it noted some PEZ dispensers going for $11,000, and others for $1, so prices vary. Also on Pikies.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Joe I will send you an email this evening, headed to the river today for some walleye, hopefully!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Thanks for getting back via email, Bummy. Return email sent. Thanks for all! Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi Matt! I totally agree about googling for info and the ORCA site is always the first place that pops up! Problem is, I just can't get my fingers (and brain!) to work cell phones! Don't own one! And, when I first saw the Pirate/box (first trip), I thought it was probably just a typical $50 common SW reel! When I got home on my desktop, googled it, ORCA came up, then "flew like the wind" back to the ant mall!

Yup--- USE this website! Thanks for the reminder. Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC)
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Thanks to all the posts and messages, and the terrific Bronson Reel site here, it's confirmed that the reel is a 750BW Pirate in correct box! Described as "scarce to rare". Responders had a lot of trouble putting a price on it, none to be found that have sold so no sales history. But I've come up with a sort of range for it. I will be posting it here in the For Sale section whenever I get the time to do so. Meanwhile-- PM me an offer if you want. Don't be scared to make an offer--- the worst that can happen is that I get back and say "What! Are you crazy! That's way too much for that reel! I'll take half that amount!".

(Mark- take care and thanks! Bummy- it's good to know the Bronson site is in good hands! Couple good people... out of many good people here!) Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

As promised, reel is now For Sale (priced?) at the "for sale" section on this site. It's NOT listed at ETSY or anywhere else. I'm hoping it turns the crank of someone here at ORCA! Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Joe, you might want to pull the line off that spool and see how minty it is under there!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi John--- I did mention in the For Sale post that I did pull the line off and spool was fine. Still looked "minty". I added a pic to show. Thanks for looking! Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)

Here's a direct link to the For Sale post: viewtopic.php?t=25662